Thursday, November 19, 2009

Field Trip: Larner Seeds



So many things going on and not enough time to tell you all about them!  That means that Plant of the Week is taking a week off and will return next Wednesday.  But....  instead I present another adventure with Aunt Joyce!  To Larner Seeds in Bolinas!  You wouldn't believe the crazy winding roads to get to Bolinas.  Apparently, the residents regularly remove signs guiding your way in an attempt to prevent tourism.  (And I don't blame them, I'd love to have it all to myself it I could!)  Despite this, we found our way and entered into a world of California natives.



While no profusion of blooms greeted us, the garden held little treasures:  a blooming Ceanothus, the seed-heads of a Western Clematis, a Dudleya popping out of its pot. 



The main attraction, however found us inside the little shop perusing the wall of white and green envelopes ooh-ing, aww-ing and grabbing one of this and two of that.




I purchased packets of Baby Blue Eyes, Meadowfoam, Red Maids, Owl Clover, Linanthus grandiflorus, Arroyo Lupine, and Scrophularia californica (which I am so, so excited about).
I've bought more than I can handle and I'd be happy to share if y'all let me know.  Wouldn't it be fun to do a seed exchange one of these days?



For those that can't navigate the winding roads to the nursery, you can purchase seeds, books, tools and pamphlets online at Larner Seeds' website.  Happy Fall planting!

3 comments:

  1. What fun to visit a seed company! Of the seeds you bought, I only remember trying Baby Blue Eyes, a frequent addition to wildflower seed mixtures that does grow well here in early spring.

    I see California poppy seeds on the racks in your pic. California poppies are reseeding in my flower beds now. They love our winters, hate our summers, make a great spring show.

    I found you on Blotanical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have visited that seed store! We have a lot of Arroyo Lupine here in the desert. I love its purple spires.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so fun to hear about everyone else's experiences with wildflowers. They seem to be the native plants that bode well out of their regular comfort zone. I'll have to keep you posted on the germination progress!

    ReplyDelete