Monday, November 9, 2009

Garden Sculpture from the Garden



 *UPDATE*  Following Susie's wise advice, the photo above is now entered into the Gardening Gone Wild monthly photo contest.  This month's theme "End of the Line", applies in two ways for this photo:  the length of leaf terminating into a knot and the fact that the leaves are at the end of their life-cycle.  Enjoy!  (Back to your regularly scheduled program)

The only living thing in our little front garden that we actually kept was a tall yucca-like tree, probably planted soon after the house was built in 1931.  It seems to be a place for birds to take a rest and squirrels to chide our cat watching them from the nearby window.  After the recent storms, a slew of dried leaves littered the ground like a strange game of pick-up sticks.  Instead of throwing them into the green bin, I methodically bundled handfuls and lashed them together with their own leaves.  I've left them lying around the front yard, where they seem to convey the remnants of a witches' ceremony.  I find myself drawn to the contrast of the organically curled ends and the matter-of-fact pointy tips.



The big win-win-win is that I didn't have to fill the green bin with the leaves and I'll be able to attack the encroaching ivy before garbage day, I now have Autumnal garden sculpture, and the thought that native bees just might nest inside the bundles for a winter snuggle keeps me happy.  (Even if the idea is far-fetched).

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful shot, you should enter it in the Gardening Gone Wild http://www.gardeninggonewild.com/?p=9088#more-9088 photo contest...it's theme this month is 'End of the Line', it would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Susie! Done and done. Your entry has quite a Zen-like quality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice shot, I also like the idea that the bundles may shelter bees. Not really so far fetched, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The simplicity of this is really beautiful. My front garden was full of these dried 'leaves' after the last windy, stormy day, and it never occurred to me to bundle them up. But what a lovely idea!
    We have two of these old cordylines, also planted decades ago, probably when the house was built. You've inspired me to look with fresh eyes on leaf litter ;~]
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, you've got me super optimistic, healingmagichands! Wouldn't that be great?

    Alice- thanks! It seemed to be a popular plant choice around here in the 30s, but it does tend to be messy. Can't wait to see your creative take on the new medium!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely way to turn "trash" into a thing of beauty. I've rescued some of the prettier manzanita boughs from prunings (some accidents - live boughs broken off or attached to dead bits - were most beautiful - sad to say). I'm not sure how to make use of them. I have mostly given them to someone with a clue! for flower arrangements. I love how you cropped right in to give beautiful lines to your shot. Good luck in the competition!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting shot and a beautiful item.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Country Mouse,
    Manzanita branches can be so dramatic indoors! The color of the bark and the graceful lines... Swoon-worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, you never know what the bees will do. They've been ignoring my beautiful bee house but have been seen entering the end of the bamboo trellis.

    Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This photo pleases me. I could look at it for a long time. Love the warmth of the lines and textures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! I'm just thrilled you won!

    ReplyDelete
  12. TM- First I thought "Huh?" Then I jumped over to Gardeninggonewild and let my mouth hang open for a few minutes in disbelief! Thanks so much! And a big thanks to Gardeninggonewild.com and Josh McCullough, this month's judge, but also to Susie for suggesting I enter!

    ReplyDelete