Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Unearthing Idora Park




Today I celebrated a very local holiday known as "plant that Buckeye you got at the plant sale months ago" Day.  First annual.  I'm always jumping for an opportunity to dig around our yard because of its former life as an amusement park at the turn of the century.  Someday I just know I'll uncover the ferris wheel.  Embarrassingly, the backyard has not changed much since we moved in a year and a half ago, so to root around the back is pretty exciting for a kid like me who grew up watching Indiana Jones.




While unearthing myriad Oxalis bulbs, I also came upon random bands of red, grainy clay.  Embedded throughout were these red rocks.  Hmmm, could these be part of the building pictured above?  Were they used for landscaping?  I think another trip to Oakland's History Room will be in order soon enough.
Meanwhile, these specimens will grace the area around the freshly planted buckeye tree.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Christine,

    How fun exploring the history of your yard. I can't wait to see what else you discover. And I am a huge Indiana Jones fan too :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty cool. In our last house we had a very old, and productive, orange tree that was a remnant from when there were orange orchards here. An amusement park is really cool though.

    Glad to hear you got the buckeye in. I still have quite a few perennials that haven't made it into the ground yet. At least it is still the same planting season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that's pretty interesting! Who knows what you'll find next? The Buckeye will be great, though, I've seen them on hikes off late, and they look as if they have ornaments hanging of the branches. And there will be bees in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love buckeyes. They are sculptural in winter with beautiful seed pods on bare branches. A former amusement park is a exciting history. Have fun on the treasure hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't Indiana Jones dreamy?! Thanks, Noelle!

    Barbara, at least an orange tree produces something, rather than change the consistency of the soil like my clay and rocks! How nice of the builders to leave it there for you.

    Hi Town Mouse- I'm actually a little worried about the buckeye and bees since I just read the pollen is poisonous to European honeybees. Hmmmm, something new to research, but I can't wait for it to bloom!

    Hey Lynn- buckeyes have been on my must have list for quite some time, so I'm so excited to finally get started! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete