Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Jack Frost Makes a Rare Visit



*UPDATE* 01.04.09  The photo above is my entry in Gardening Gone Wild's January "Picture This" photo contest.  Welcome, GGW fans!  Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Wow, I must be saying I love California weather too much because here comes Mother Nature to knock me down a few notches!   Frost crystals enveloped the backyard and the seeds I had planted and carefully set at the side of the house were little soil Popsicles.  Although I don't think the seeds mind as I see a few little sprouts of Nemophila trying to stick it out.

Thankfully I don't have any frost tender plants, but I've heard that a helpful and decorative solution is to string the sensitive ones with Christmas tree lights.  Especially appropriate this time of year, no?  LEDs won't work very well, as the bulbs need to generate heat to keep the plant toasty. I'm sure the plants would love the opportunity to feel festive! 



Even the weeds in the backyard look better for the additional frosty bling.  Looks like after our cold-spell, the rains are a'comin'.  Batten down the hatches!  It's planting season!

9 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how frost can make even the most boring plant beautiful? We are enjoying an unusual cold snap as well in AZ. The rain cleared up today though and everything is fresh and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the little ice crystals along the blade of the grass. My weather station informed me it was a brisk 27 degrees outside when I woke up this morning. The frost is beautiful when it blankets the garden, but I wasn't quite as brave as you. I did contemplate taking my camera outside...but I couldn't quite stand to be that far away from the fireplace...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is cold down here in So. Cal. and we are even predicted to get a frost tonight. Love the way your plants look with their sugar coating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frost is like make-up for plants, isn't it Noelle? It was a nice change of view.
    Clare- I don't know if I would have been brave enough for 27 degrees either as it was a balmy 37 when I ventured outside (in my bathrobe, no less!)
    Barbara- mmmm, sugar coating! It's cookie making season, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a little sugar coating this AM...looks like more tonight. I give you the utmost credit for venturing out to take some photos! I just couldn't do it this morning....what a wus....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have much the same situation except I have regular frost. I love my winters! Good luck for the competition. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are braver than I am:) I have never got that close to the grass when it was cold - lol. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it, mostly because I'm never up early enough to see frost! Nice composition and detail, one of the better photos I've seen entered so far (but what do I know?). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Christine, nature does provide for wonderful photo ops. The ice crystals on the foliage edge look like cilia.

    ReplyDelete