Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Let's Nerd Out on Caterpillars! (The Squishy Kind)



Is it my birthday?!  What did I do to deserve this amazing gift of Dr. Jerry Powell speaking at the next California Native Plant Society East Bay member meeting?!  And it's all about moth and butterfly caterpillars!  (insert teenage squeal here). 
Dr. Powell wrote my favorite insect field guide, California Insects, which helped me identify the little lovely above as a Western Tiger Swallowtail.  The photos are few and a tidge blurry at times, but the line drawings and descriptions always help me nail down their identities.  It doesn't hurt that it focuses solely on insects found in our fair state, which prevents me from thinking it's some rarity from Rhode Island and keeps me on track. 
The meeting, which is open to all, will be in the Orinda Public Library's Garden Room (how appropriate) on the 18th at 7:30pm.  Anyone want to carpool from Oakland?

No comments:

Post a Comment