Friday, May 22, 2009

Berkeley Jewel Box Garden


I stopped by a garden yesterday that I had completed a few months back and man.... was there a party going on! A black carpenter bee was humming about the collinsias and the white poppies were dancing away with the phacelias. Because it's a small and shady spot, I wanted to leave the design open for variation- creating seasonal bursts of jewel-toned blossoms to attract hummingbirds, bees and butterflies.


The trellis I made to match the Arts and Crafts style of the house is still waiting for the native grape to take some initiative, but it's coming along.

I love the red stems that contrast with the leaves. I can't wait to see him turn red in the fall.
A dry stream bed weaves its way through the plantings- aren't those pink poppies spectacular?

No comments:

Post a Comment