Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Curves and Angles: A New Trellis for the Wall

 

I'm still trying to figure out what I think of this one, but here's the latest trellis!  This one is for my front garden, but is #1 in a line of trellises I'll be offering come Spring (gee, that's soon).  You might remember when I took the army of clamps off the center piece in this earlier post.   So without further ado, I present the latest trellis:

 

It's a fun one since it involves bending wood (and bending wood involves lots of chances for disaster such as a 10ft long piece of drainage pipe filled with hot water balancing on the counter.  Oh, the suspense!) and doing some Japanese style joints at odd angles.  I'm still trying to decide how to mount it onto the wall, so any advice would be most welcome.  It was inspired by the wrought iron railing that borders the front steps and entry patio of the house.  Soon enough it will have a twin on the other side of the garage and a Vitus californica 'Roger's Red' clambering up it.  Heck, maybe I could get a Dutchman's Pipevine into the mix as well! 

9 comments:

  1. Christine, what a beautiful, and original trellis. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I would purchase this! Very nice combination of straight lines, angles, and smooth interesting curves. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How elegant! Love the look, thought I'd be a little worried there isn't enough to climb on. Will depend on the vine you choose, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys! I'm wondering how it will climb as well, but grapes typically find a way. The wrought iron railing above the garage will be able to handle them when they get tall, too. (I hope- I'll keep you posted!)
    By the way, tooting my horn- I do make these for sale, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Christine,

    Wow! How beautiful! I was just at the store this morning looking at trellises and was disappointed at what was available. Your trellis design should be a huge hit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great design interpretation! two sizes with the larger size in the middle might be a nice feature on the side of a blank wall. what to plant would be my dilemma as i would not want to loose sight of the design. maybe you could suspend them from the roof line vs attaching directly to the wall. do you know anyone who makes hand forged hooks? perhaps you could build a free standing frame to hang it from and use it as a visual divide between two areas. great work. please don't feel you need to post this--i just find it exciting design. ls

    ps. what is the wood? love the joints!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Noelle! I'm going to make a few different designs to fit various aesthetics. Store-bought trellises leave much to be desired!

    Hi Linda, I'm planting grapes so that I can see the form in the wintertime. It will be a nice marker of the seasons, I think. Thanks for your ideas regarding mounting! And I love comments- especially when they're as thoughtful as yours! It's redwood, by the way with an oil finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christine,
    Very nice design. I'd have a hard time covering it with plants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Randy! I am curious what it will look like with greenery- can't wait to see the grape leaves turn red in the Autumn.

    ReplyDelete